Saturday, December 10, 2011

Food Pantries in the 41st Ward

Update:  16:14  04 December 2011




Remember the food pantries during Christmas season, too.
Holidays are around the corner, and I just received an email from a good friend and neighbor reminding me about the spirit of the holidays - giving.

A couple of ideas for this year:

1.  Support the two local food pantries in the 41st ward.  They do wonderful work.  Hard times can hit anyone, at anytime, and knowing these faith organizations have missions to feed neighbors in need is comforting.  This year, how about donating something to the local food pantries listed below:  food, cash, gift cards etc...

2.  Support local businesses this year, too.  Buy products and services from our local merchants, especially the ones who donate to the local food pantries.  Personally, I like receiving a gift certificate to a restaurant or store, I've never tried, but have been meaning to... 

Info about the local Food Pantries:

PANTRY
New Hope United Methodist
7115 W Hood Ave
Chicago IL 60631
(773) 775-1215
Contact: Marilyn Doering
Hours of Operation: Tuesday: 9:30 am - 11:30 am
Boundaries: Zip Codes: 60631, 60646, 60630 and 60656
Newsletter: 
Read the latest issue of our newsletter online.

PANTRY
Windy City Community Church
6112 N Navarre Ave
Chicago IL 60631
(773) 631-9222
Contact: Nancy Volpert
Hours of Operation: Last Tuesday: 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm (except Nov - Dec open 3rd Tues. of the month)
Boundaries: Zip Codes: 60631, 60646, and 60656

Updated:
Open Pantry
Salvation Army
8354 W Foster Ave  Norridge, IL 60706-3032
(708) 456-6220
Wednesdays:  1pm (call first - I believe there may be a different day for first time users, an intake process)

9 comments:

  1. I just read the New Hope Food Pantry newsletter and they served 4600 people in six months (January-June). So, about 780 people/month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to New Hope food pantry for a few months about a year ago when I was out of work. Very nice volunteers and I was grateful for the food they gave me. They made me feel welcome and not like I was there for a hand-out, which I was. Now that I'm working, I drop them a check when I can. The circle of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget about the Salvation Army. They have a pantry the last wednesday of the month and also bread and pastries every wednesday. Eligibility is according to income. Most people there are pretty nice except for someone named Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Panera Bread and Whole Foods donate to New Hope Food Pantry every week. I purposely give panera gift cards to friends and family, as well as shop there myself just because of their generosity to the food pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. food pantries need support all year round

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to bring this up to my book club. We can do our own little food drive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just dropped a check in the mail to one of the pantries for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drove past United Methodist this morning. Long line waiting for food.

    ReplyDelete