Saturday, June 11, 2011

CDOT's New Commish Doesn't Drive; But Bikes, Walks to Work

I'm looking forward to a complete overhaul of CDOT and better communication too.  I hope Alderman O'Connor invites Mr. Klein to the 41st Ward to assess the area for pedestrian and cycling improvements as well as implementing ideas as to how to best use CTA and Metra land.....



CDOT's New Commish Doesn't Drive; But Bikes, Walks to Work

When it comes to the one-two punch of the new Mayor, Rahm Emanuel, and his appointee for Chicago Department of Transportation Commissioner, Gabe Klein, it's safe to say that the future of this city's urban planning is cycling and transit oriented... for real... and perhaps for the first time ever.  These two are in lock-step when it comes to their goals for Chicago.  Emanuel campaigned on a promise to build 25 miles of new bike lanes per year, and both he and Klein are on the record as major advocates for public transit efficiency and partnerships.
Klein, a highly-sought after transportation administratior, whom many speculate had turned down offers to run a couple of state DOTs, said 'yes' to Emanuel, and that may turn out to benefit Chicagoans who are looking for some progressive leadership.  Klein ran the D.C. DOT for a couple of years - where he instigated a bike share program, beefed up city bus service, and installed electric car charging facilities.  Before that, Klein was a regional Vice President of Zipcar.
Klein spoke to "Double Yellow Lines" on the phone from his new office at CDOT, an office by the way, that doesn't have a locker room... meaning the committed bike commuter says he'll likely join a nearby gym, lest he grow too pungent for his new staff...
How did you get hooked up with Mayor Emanuel?
You know, I heard I was one of the first hires in the Emanuel administration… but I actually, I really didn’t know the Mayor all that well.  I did work closely with his brother, (Dr.) Zeke Emanuel in D.C.… we did some cycling advocacy together.  I think the main thing was I was recommended to (Rahm Emanuel) by some high profile officials in the transportation world... the Secretary of the (Federal) Department of Transportation, for example.
How often do you bike commute?
I’ve been riding or walking or taking the bus to work every single day.
What kind of bike to you ride?
I actually have six bikes – 2 are here with me in Chicago, a Masi – that’s my commuter bike.  It has thicker (hybrid-type) tires – a wooden crate, fenders... My racing bike is brand new Wilier… It has Sram componentry… a local company, made here in Chicago (World HQ in Old Town) … so I’m only riding Sram here (laughs). I’m also having my Vespa shipped out from D.C., so that should be fun.
What’s your favorite part of cycling to work? 
It’s such a great way to see the city.  It's a postitive, and up-beat way to get to work, you're able to get some air.  The best thing about it though is how fast it is here in Chicago… I live in the South Loop, and its 35 minutes to walk, 30 minutes walking and taking the bus… and just 8 minutes by bike.
Can you sum up your goals for the coming year? 
We are going to completely overhaul the face of the agency… people don’t even know about the wide variety of services CDOT provides.  We’re going to work on the website, and push forward when it comes to social media, and getting information out to the public, that’s what I did in Washington.  Also, CDOT has the potential to bring true innovation to public space and transportation in general in this city.  The agency is in charge of a lot of the public space here in Chicago, and there’s so much that can be done.   Holding events, putting in pedestrian and bike-related facilities, and we’ll continue to capitalize on our already strong relationship with the mass transit agencies.  Our entire agenda for the upcoming months will soon be released… and when it is, we’ll be publishing it on our website for everyone to take a look at. 

 

2 comments:

  1. I have been wondering if Rahm's 100 miles of bike paths will include any bike path in the 41st Ward. And, I would like to hear Klein's ideas for the CTA. Maybe one of these neighborhood groups will invite him to speak to the community?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is encouraging. I would like to hear his plans for the city.

    ReplyDelete